Definition / Define
Make a virtue of necessity
- Make a virtue of necessity Verb
- To make the best of a difficult situation; to recast or portray an action or situation in which one has no alternatives as an action or situation which was deliberately chosen on its merits.
- Circa 1595, William Shakespeare, Two Gentlemen of Verona, act 4, sc.1:.
- Indeed, because you are a banish'd man,.
- Therefore, above the rest, we parley to you:.
- Are you content to be our general?.
- To make a virtue of necessity.
- And live, as we do, in this wilderness?.
- Nietzsche, as I gather, regarded the slave-morality as having been invented and imposed on the world by slaves making a virtue of necessity and a religion of their servitude.