Definition / Define
- Substitute Verb
- To use in place of something else, with the same function.
- I had no shallots so I substituted onion.
- In the phrase "substitute X for Y", to use X in place of Y.
- I had to substitute new parts for the old ones.
- In the phrase "substitute X with/by Y", to use Y in place of X.
- I had to substitute old parts with the new ones.
- To remove (a player) from the field of play and bring on another in his place.
- He was playing poorly and was substituted after twenty minutes.
- To serve as a replacement (for someone or something).
- Accumulation of wealth by this route may substitute for personal saving.
- Substitute Noun
- A replacement or stand-in for something that achieves a similar result or purpose.
- A player who is available to replace another if the need arises, and who may or may not actually do so.